Carrot cake recipes are not only good for the eyes but they are also delectable meals that you can share.
Carrots are known to contain beta-carotene, which is very beneficial for good eyesight. This is one of the reasons why carrot recipes are very popular on the internet, cookbooks and food-related magazines. Aside from beta-carotene, (which actually changes to vitamin A when ingested to the body), carrots are found to have anti-cancer properties. The high anti-oxidant contents of carrots can fight free radicals that can cause cancer. So, what are you waiting for? Wear your apron and get ready to cook these yummy and healthy carrot recipes.
Carrot Soup Recipe – A Perfect Starter
Prepare Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour 25 Minutes
This carrot soup is one of the easiest and fastest carrot recipes. You only need about 15 minutes to prepare this appetizing soup. This is good for 2 servings.
1 cup freshly grated carrots
1 tablespoon minced onion
1 tablespoon chopped celery
3 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup fresh milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons chopped and fried bacon for garnish
A sprig of parsley for garnish
1. In a medium stock pot, heat the butter and sauté the onions and celery. Add in the grated carrots and stir constantly, add half of the chicken stock and let boil for 3 minutes.
2. Place the carrot soup mixture in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour back the soup into the stock pot and add the rest of the chicken stock, milk, salt and pepper. Let it simmer for 8 minutes.
3. Lastly, ladle the soup into 2 large soup bowls. Sprinkle the bacon and parsley and add a little more of the cream if desired. This is best served when warm. This can also be placed inside empty crusty bread.
Carrot and Radish Salad Recipe
Prepare Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
This is again one of the quickest carrot recipes. There are only four main ingredients in this recipe. This salad is also a nice side dish for fried and roast meats.
2 large carrots
1 large red radish
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
4 tablespoons brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Using a mandolin, slice the carrots and radish thinly. Set aside this in a glass bowl and place inside the chiller.
2. Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, boil the vinegar and brown sugar for 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Let this mixture cool.
3. When cooled, pour in the vinegar mixture into the carrots and radish salad.
4. Mix well and serve with your favorite fried or roast dish.
Fresh Carrot Pasta Recipe
Prepare Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Nothing can beat the taste of freshly made pasta. In this recipe, carrots are infused into the pasta dough to have bright orange-colored pasta. Use a pasta maker to roll out the pasta dough thinly. If a pasta maker is not available, use a rolling pin instead. Choose any pasta sauce for this recipe. I suggest a marinara sauce would best accompany this pasta. This is just the basic tomato sauce made from canned or fresh whole tomatoes.
4 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups freshly grated carrots
1. In a clean work surface, put the flour and make a well in the center. Add in all the ingredients except the carrots and knead gently.
2. Mix in the grated carrots and knead again for 1 minute. Dust the work surface with flour if the dough becomes too sticky.
3. Using a pasta maker, roll out the dough for several times until the desired thickness is achieved.
4. Choose what an attachment for final cutting of pasta dough. You can either use the spaghetti or linguine attachment. After the pasta has been cut, rest and let dry for about 15 minutes.
5. In a large stock pot with boiling water, add the carrot-pasta and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until al dente.
Carrot Cake Recipes
Prepare Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Among all the above-mentioned carrot recipes, I think carrot cake recipe is the most popular. This cake is not too heavy when eaten, unlike other cakes.
2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
2 cups granulated sugar
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup corn oil
1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted)
500 grams freshly grated carrots
1 cup nuts (walnuts or pecans)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a medium-sized loaf pan or line muffin pans with muffin cups.
2. In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
3. In another bowl, beat the eggs until light and airy. Gradually add in the melted butter and oil in slow and thin stream. Fold in the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
4. Fold in the carrots into the flour mixture and pour into loaf pan or muffin pans.
5. Sprinkle with nuts and bake for 25 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. The crust should also be golden brown.
6. Remove from the pan and let cool. Serve with coffee or serve as a dessert.
Carrots are considered as very versatile vegetables. They can literally complete a menu set for a day or even for a week. Your mom is right when she told you that carrots are good for you. You can even make carrot juice as refreshment or as an energy drink together with Carrot Cake. If you want to be creative, you can also try to make carrot cupcake recipes. These carrot recipes are just proof on how useful carrots can be inside the kitchen.
Other Cake Recipes