Italian food recipes for desserts are a treat for any sweet lover.
Italian cuisine has a rich array of desserts and pastries. The desserts use waffles, lady fingers, cheese, fruits, cream and cheese to create mouth watering delights. This article contains an authentic tiramisu recipe and a traditional almond biscotti recipe.
Italian Food Recipes – Tiramisu with Home Baked Lady Fingers
Prepare Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Mainly based on eggs, sugar, mascarpone cheese, coffee, lady fingers, liquor and cocoa, Tiramisu is a perfect ending to an Italian meal. Prepare tiramisu in a spring-form pan or a trifle bowl. This Italian food recipe also tells you how to bake your own lady fingers.
For chocolate lady fingers:
• 4 eggs, whites and yolks separated
• 2/3 cup powdered sugar/ castor sugar
• 1/2 cup all purpose flour
• 1/2 cocoa powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• Vanilla essence
• 6 egg yolks
• 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar or castor sugar
• 1 1/4 cups mascarpone cheese
• 1 3/4 cups whipping cream
• 300 g home baked ladyfingers
• 1/2 cup coffee liqueur
• 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
• 25 g semi sweet chocolate
1. Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Place egg whites in a bowl and beat until fluffy.
2. Add 2-3 tablespoon sugar and continue beating until glossy and fluffy.
3. Place egg yolks in another bowl. Add the remaining sugar and whip until thoroughly mixed and pale yellow in color.
4. Sift together flour, baking powder and cocoa powder.
5. Mix together half of egg white mixture with the yolk mixture. Now add the sifted ingredients and fold gently. Add the remaining egg white and egg yolk mixture.
6. Preheat an oven to 400 F and cover a baking dish with butter paper.
7. Transfer the egg, sugar and flour mixture to a pastry bag. Using the pastry bag, pipe out the mixture on the baking dish to form the fingers.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and put aside to cool down.
1. Place water in a double boiler and bring it to a boil.
2. Combine egg yolks and powdered sugar in the bowl of double boiler and cook for 10 minutes on low heat. Keep stirring gently but continuously. Remove when the mixture gets thick.
3. Now add mascarpone cheese to the mixture above. Beat well. Mascarpone cheese is an irreplaceable component of tiramisu.
4. Place whipping cream in a bowl and whip until fluffy.
5. Gently fold the egg and cheese mixture into the beaten cream.
6. Break lady fingers in half. Give the lady fingers a dip in your favorite coffee liqueur and use these to line the bottom of your serving. Cover the lady fingers with a layer of cream and cheese mixture.
7. Repeat layering coffee dipped ladyfingers and cream. Your top layer should be cream.
8. Dust cocoa powder over the final layer and garnish with chocolate curls.
9. Refrigerate overnight in a refrigerator. Take out this Italian food recipe just before serving.
Italian Traditional Almond Biscotti Recipe
Prepare Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Biscotti are Italian substitute to cookies. This easy and traditional Italian food recipe can be made with a variety of ingredients like orange, lemon, ginger, chocolate, pistachio, cranberries and hazel nuts but the traditional recipe uses almonds. The biscotti are first baked as a log, and then sliced while the loaf is still warm. Finally they are baked again as individual cookies.
• 1/2 cup softened butter
• 1 1/4 cup castor sugar
• 3 whole eggs
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
• 2 cups self raising flour
• A pinch of salt
• 1/2 cup crushed almonds
• 2-3 tablespoon fresh milk
1. Mix sugar and softened butter in a bowl and use a spoon to whip until the mixture is smooth. Save 2 tablespoon powdered sugar.
2. Add eggs one by one in the above mixture and stir well after adding each egg. The mixture should be smooth and fluffy.
3. Add vanilla essence to the mixture above.
4. Sift the self raising flour to aerate it. Add ½ teaspoon baking powder if using plain flour.
5. Gently fold the dry ingredients in the cream, egg and sugar mixture. Now add the crushed almonds. This will form soft but workable dough.
6. Preheat an oven to 400 F. Line a baking tray with butter paper.
7. Roll the dough to form a loaf and brush with milk and powdered sugar.
8. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes until firm and brown.
9. Remove from the oven and place on a cutting board. Slice the dough to form ½ inch thick slices.
10. Reduce the heat to 300 F. Place the slices on the baking tray and bake again for 10 minutes. Turn the slices over and then cook for another 10 minutes.
11. Remove the tray from the oven and put aside to cool. As the biscotti cool, they will become crispy.
12. Biscotti can be stored in an air tight jar for 4-6 weeks.
Try these Italian food recipes and impress your friends with these Italian dessert delights. All these recipes are very simple and ideal for home cooking.
Other Cake Recipes